At first glance, a roof overlay may seem more cost-effective than a roof replacement. However, it’s likely to cost you more in the long run.
The Disadvantages of a Roof Overlay
While it is true that a roof overlay costs less and takes less time to install than a conventional roof replacement, its disadvantages far outweigh any of its pros. Here’s an overview of some of its disadvantages:
- Added weight load – Adding a new layer of shingles to your old roof increases its weight burden. If the additional weight load becomes too much for your roof to handle, parts of your roof may start to sag.
- Shorter lifespan – Roof overlays won’t last as long as conventional roof replacements. That’s because the extra layer of shingles traps heat and moisture, which can drastically shorten your roof’s lifespan.
- Underlying roofing issues – Another reason why roof overlays have shorter lifespans than conventional roofing systems is that adding another layer of shingles to your roof does nothing to address underlying roofing issues that will eventually reemerge.
Planning Tips for a Roof Replacement
Given all these disadvantages, it makes more practical – and financial – sense to do a complete roof tear-off and invest in a conventional roofing replacement. To help you maximize the returns on investment on your new roofing system, here are some planning tips:
- Avoid getting too preoccupied with the costs – Focus instead on maximizing the return on investment (ROI).
- Choose a roofing material that’s suited to your local climate – No matter how durable your new roof is, it won’t last long if it isn’t suited to the local climate. Remember: there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to home improvement projects, and roof replacement projects are no exception.
Here’s a tip: to learn more about your roofing options, consult with local roofers. Since they’re more familiar with the local climate and building codes, they can make better recommendations.
Looking for roofers near you?
Pritchett Bros, a family-owned and -operated company with over 50 years of experience, offers a wide range of professional roofing services as well as quality GAF roofing products. To get a free roof inspection, call us at (812) 275-3185, or fill out this form. We serve homeowners in Bedford and Bloomington as well as the surrounding communities.