Commercial roofing systems have a limited lifespan that varies greatly depending on a variety of factors. Fortunately, proper maintenance can help extend their lifespan while also improving their performance and durability. Here are some of the best practices for commercial roof management.
1. Understand the contents of the roof warranty. Do not be fooled into thinking that just because you have a warranty, you may file a claim for any form of roof damage. This document is intended to protect you from material, manufacturing and workmanship flaws, but it is also subject to certain restrictions. To avoid having your warranty revoked, it pays to read up on everything written on it.
2. Collect data about your roof. Gather all information about your commercial roofing system. Record the roof’s dimensions, age and maintenance history. Warranties, roof dimensions, maintenance and repair documents, personnel work records and alterations or upgrades to rooftop mechanical equipment should all be collected and documented.
3. Conduct regular inspections. Regular inspections and assessments ensure the commercial roof’s performance and longevity. Current circumstances will influence future decisions concerning needed repairs and maintenance. By quickly identifying and addressing issues, you achieve more savings, reduce roof damage and delay its deterioration.
4. Control roof access. To effectively extend the life of your roofing system, make sure to restrict access to it as much as possible, recording who, what, when and where activities occur. Unauthorized or poorly trained roofers often do significant damage to roofs. Propose a documented policy describing roof access and approved roof work.
5. Hire the right contractor. Your roof should be maintained by a reputable commercial roofing company. Make sure the team follows safety measures and adheres to building codes and manufacturer guidelines. Working together with the pros helps ensure the effective management of your most important investments – your commercial roof.
Pritchett Bros is the best choice for professional residential and commercial roofing services. Call us today at (812) 275-3185, or fill out this contact form to schedule your roof evaluation. We proudly serve Indiana and the surrounding community.